The department of Neurology at Mahatma Gandhi Hospital is rapidly developing department equipped with new advancement in the neuroscience field. In the past 10 years there have been tremendous changes in the fields of neuroscience and genetics. These changes include vast technological advances in treatment and insights into molecular and cellular pathogenesis of neurological disease. At the Mahatma Gandhi Hospital, we provide the comprehensive neurological care with technical advancement.
The scope of this department includes investigation and treatment of diseases involving central and peripheral nervous system. Neuro-rehabilitation department is under the reformation to give the holistic care to the patients suffering from neurological illness. Aim of the neuro-rehabilitation is to minimize the disability of the patients, so that they can live productive life in the society.
Neurophysiologic investigations like EEG, electromyography, nerve conduction studies and evoked potentials are available at this centre with more accurate reports and reasonable rate.. The neuroradiological facilities include MRI scan with MR angiography and spiral CT scan. Recently, department has started diagnostic and therapeutic neurointerventions including diagnostic cerebral angiography.
Thrombolytic therapy for stroke patients and botulinum toxin therapy for focal dystonia are also available in the center. .
Treatments of movement disorders like Parkinsonism are done predominantly by using special drugs and this is very effective in most cases. But many patients do also develop side-effects caused by usage of the drugs especially after 5-6 years of treatment. Such patients are surgical candidates. The surgical treatment offered for Parkinsonism is Sub Thalamic Nucleus (STN) Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS).
· Offers outpatient (6 days a week), inpatient and 24 hours emergency services.
· Inpatient has adult and pediatric ward, special ward and intensive care unit (ICU).
· Works closely with Radiology and Neurosurgery and all other departments in addressing various diagnostic and theraupatic problems.
· Neuro-rehabilitation services in collaboration with physiotherapy department include physiotherapy, occupational therapy and vocational guidance.
· Special Stroke unit for providing comprehensive care and treatment facilities for stroke patients.
· Intensive care unit with all modern facilities.
The Neurology Department has a well equipped electrophysiology lab where tests are conducted by an experienced electrophysiology technician. The Neurophysiological Laboratory has electrophysiological equipment for the diagnosis of disorders of spinal cord, peripheral nerves, Neuromuscular junctions and the muscles.
The modalities of electrophysiological investigations:
· Nerve conduction study of all four limbs
· Brachial plexus study
· Carpal tunnel study
· H-reflex study
· Deramatomal SEP
· Facial nerve study
· Blink reflex study
· Sympathetic skin response
· Repetitive nerve stimulation
· Evoked potentials including VEP, BAEP, SSEP
· Electroencephalogram (EEG)
· Video EEG
Laboratory services those will be started coming soon:
· Well equipped Autonomic function testing laboratory including tilt table testing
· Advanced Sleep laboratory performing tests like polysomnography, multiple sleep latency testing
· Diagnostic neurointerventions including cerebral digital subtraction angiography and spinal angiogram
The Department of neurology at MGMCH has been started comprehensive stroke care. The department provides care exclusively for stroke patients starting from the hyper acute phase to the rehabilitative and follow-up phase. It will start continuous care program for life after stroke, including vascular risk reduction clinic and integrated stroke rehabilitation coming soon.
· Pre-hospital Care
The MGMCH will start the help line number and ambulance service coming soon for pre-hospital care of the patients with acute stroke.
· Emergency Department Care
Acute stroke imaging and round the clock stroke neurology service.
· Stroke Unit Care
Stroke unit involves a dedicated ICU and a stroke in-patient ward with a team of dedicated doctors and multidisciplinary experts including stroke neurologists, neurosurgeons, neurophysiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, clinical psychologists, medical social workers and physician assistants. Neurovascular interventions will be start in the near future for acute stroke.
· Endovascular Stroke Therapy
Neurointervention cath lab with endovascular treatment facility including Intra arterial thrombolysis and stent retrival will be started coming soon.
· Telestroke Services
MGMCH stroke services will start telestroke services for expert advice for acute stroke patients across the Rajasthan hospitals.
· Integrated Stroke Rehabilitation Program
Recently, MGMCH has been developed neuro-rehabilitation department. This department offers the services for stroke patients to improve the quality of life. There is a full neuro-assessment, plus rehabilitation planning setting realistic goals for further rehabilitation.
Facilities for stroke care
· 24 x7 Stroke Thrombolysis and Endovascular Service
· 24 x 7 Stroke Prevention Service
· 24X7 Emergency Stroke Ambulance Service
· Hyperacute Stroke ICU staffed with modern monitoring facilities and trained specialist staff
· Stroke Follow up Clinic
· Outpatient Stroke Rehabilitation
· Spasticity Therapy (including Botox for spasticity)
· Anticoagulation Advisory Service and follow up Service
over the period of last 8 years Neurosurgery department has reached new heights and now providing Emergency Surgery 24x7 and all sorts of Brain & Spinal Surgeries.
Treatment & Facilities:
- All kind of Head & Spinal Trauma Surgeries
- Brain Tumor Surgeries
- Prolapse Disc (Sciatica) surgeries
- Carniovertrebral Junction Anomalies
- Spinal Tumors & pathological fractures
- Vascular Surgeries
- Minimally access Cranial & Spinal Surgeries
Special Techniques & Future activities
- Developing one of the best endoscopic Brain & Spinal Center in Rajasthan
- Image guided surgerieso